Thursday, April 26, 2007

Dragons of the Dungeons

And so here I am today, with a thought in my head. I used to play Dungeon and Dragons with a bunch of friends I made back in the day when I joined Khabal. Of course the times I played it I almost always played an average statistic spread human Spear/Lance fighter. Sometimes if the campaign allowed for it, I'd be a mounted warrior. Otherwise I usually go for the spear. The biggest flaw of my character as a fighter? I love having high intelligence and only slightly above average strength, such as 13-14 strength. It may sound wacky, but I prefer at least 13 intelligence and at least 16 dexterity over an 18 strength fighter.

Why? Because of the feats and skill points required to create my unique style of play. I am a "ranged" melee. Here's my spear man build if your interested in how I eventually become a force to be feared on the battle field. At level 1 I go Dodge and Combat Reflexes so that I can Pin an enemy down at 10 feet if he's a single opponent and I can face multiple opponents as long as I keep moving back 5 feet at a time as a free action so I get plenty of attacks of opportunity. With a spear being a more damaging weapon than a standard 1 handed weapon and having a larger range than a standard weapon, I can effectively nullify anything from a raging barbarian to a mounted warrior on coming for a charge.

When my character gets to level up, he slowly works up towards Whirlwind attack by getting combat expertise and then mobility at levels 2 and 3. Once I hit level 4, my fighter becomes a scary god of the battle field with spring attack and once I hit level 6 I will get whirlwind attack and improved whirlwind attack that allows this melee character have 1 attack at every creature in a 10 feet radius at my full attack bonus along with 1 more attack at an enemy of my choosing with my base attack bonus -5.

I have a 10 feet radius of attack and it also because I have a high dexterity for combat reflexes and some intelligence for combat expertise, I go for combat expertise which allows me to have a high AC while I waltz in and out of bunches of monsters while spinning my spear around every few rounds. Even if I do not land all my blows, I usually only suffer light wounds after the battles are done. I love multiple enemy encounters and if the DM likes having a single powerful encounter, I am just as effective with hit and run tactics. You got to love the 10 feet reach of a 2 handed pole arm coupled with spring attack. Not to mention the x3 critical range of a spear.

That's it for my spear wielding battle monger. Funny thing is that he's reaches the apex of power at level 6 and quite unplayable at the higher levels because he just simply overwhelms most opponents with a flurry of blows right outside of their reach. Once he touches level 11, he's usually outlawed by my DM because he's just uncontrollable with the additional feats I pump into his weapon handling, improved combat expertise and improved combat reflexes. Coupled with my favourite permanent enchantment of a 9 feet silence on the head of my spear. Who ever thought that a single spear man would be able to rip through 9 battle hardened berserkers single-handedly or skewering a sorceror with a spear of silence before he has a chance to finish his first incantation with nary a scratch?

Normally, people would shoot me a funny glance when I first announce my character. They always believed that high dexterity and intelligence only makes for a good dual wielding character. Perhaps it's just the mindset of the people here in Singapore. No defense is a better substitute than not getting hit at all. The best offense is a good range and heavy penalty for the opponents who dare venture closer. Of course you may say that ranged attackers would typically be my bane. I normally just charge them and let them kill themselves with my attacks of opportunity while they remain in range. But when all else fails, my comrades enjoy the clean up of what little is left on the battlefield. That's all for the recollection of a chaotic neutral fighter that loved to break the molds of tradition. Alauz Out!

Idiots of today, Geniuses of tomorrow

No comments: