Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Relationship help from a textbook?

Strange as it may sound, there seems to be a whole chapter on helping people manage their relationships and look at the multitude of ways to create, maintain, salvage and even break away from personal relationships in supposed comparison to actual communication models. It kind of led my imagination out for a joyride. Did the author compare it to a relationship because it was a book meant for North America and they have an easier time understand the concept of interpersonal communications in terms of a couple's relationship? Or is it because that the author was a female thus because females find it easier to relate this to a couple's relationship?

Because seriously as a GUY/MALE/DOM, I don't relish biting into such analogies. She did mention near the end of the chapter that other cultures have a different take on interpersonal relationships, so I shall be more forgiving. But since this is THE textbook that I'm supposed to work with, I really got to be at the very least semi-critical about the approach to this subject matter. If I had decided that because of her analogy of a loving couple to start the melding of the models to the actual processes, I almost could feel myself naseate to the point of almost puking.

Perhaps it's because I'm Asian and that I'm not totally accustomed to the intimacies of the Western culture. But the very notion of self-disclosure screams at my inner soul. I can only make out one sound of my soul's screams, "BLASPHEMY!". I personally find it unnerving to have this inner self suddenly voicing out it's opinion uninitiated. I normally have to search deep within myself to know if I deeply agree or disagree with an idea. Perhaps this is why I'm writing this entry even though I've only read that single chapter tonight. It's disagreeing so violently inside me, that I just simply have to talk about it to balance myself.

Is it because of my cultural conditioning? My gender conditioning? Or even the conditioning I received as a writer? I read about these cultural and gender conditioning from the earlier chapters and it probably does explain some of the reactions I'm having now. But I still find it difficult to swallow the fact that such a simple judgement can cause me to fall so far from balance. Perhaps despite that I primarily disagree with the writer on her approach on things, I'm more disgusted with my own lack of acceptance of another culture.

I can finally picture why the Japanese found it so easy to treat their conquered nations like 2nd class citizens without any sense of guilt or conscience. How do I come to that conclusion? I just took the feeling I just got when I disagreed with author of my textbook and applied it to another culture such as the Japanese. I applied their notion of feeling compassion for those that they oppress and it's in their culture to dominate. They just won't feel a thing for the people that they have conquered.

I think I just found out first hand how our cultures are such a huge hinderance towards learning. Another side of me just realized I just lost a whole chunk of naviety and innocence. In the understanding this fact, I also accept that the world will never accept my point of view no matter how logical or proper I position my point of view. This is one of those fact that you actually wished you never learnt. It's a painful revelation and I suppose my mind's calming down abit. I leave this post with a grim realization, I have a mind that's setting faster than I want it to. It's time for me to expand my horizons as fast as I possibly can to pound it back into mush. Alauz Out!

Idiots of today, Geniuses of tomorrow

No comments: